Description of Responsibilities
The head brewer/production manager is responsible for leading the brewing team and coordinating materials to produce high quality and consistent beer. The head brewer/production manager is also responsible for keeping the brewing staff on the forefront of brewing innovation, excellence and sustainability.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Responsible for the entire brewing and quality control processes and should be well versed in scheduling, brewing, cellaring and packaging operations.
- Manage raw materials, inventory control, scheduling and hop contracts.
- Sanitary sampling, yeast cell counts and accurate record-keeping of all beers produced.
- Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Coordinating operations with art, social media, restaurant and logistics departments.
- Strong verbal communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Hands-on leadership skills for developing and training a team.
- Proficient understanding of quality control and problem solving skills to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
- Participation in out of house events, festivals, promotions, foraging and procurement of local ingredients etc.
- Effectively manage labor resources
- Ensure a safe work environment for all Wilderness employees; this includes OSHA compliance, conducting safety audits, maintaining up-to-date MSDS sheets, etc.
- Rigorously ensure adherence to all ingredient, in-process and finished beer quality specifications
- Perform Root Cause Analysis on quality deviations and recommend corrective actions
- Review brewing records for conformance to recipe
- Participate in daily sensory evaluations and ensure constant open dialogue with the brewery and executive team.
- Develop and lead an empowered, high functioning team of brewers that strive for continuous improvement.
- Help develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and ensure that they are understood and followed by all pertinent brewing and packaging personnel.
- Develop recipes, test batches, ingredient selection, etc.
- Track and report performance against brewing Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
Experience, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
- Absolute passion for artisan beer production
- 3+ Years of production brewing experience.
- Experience managing 4,000+ bbls of beer per year
- Work with spirit barrels and mixed culture beers in french oak (Spontaneous beer production is a plus).
- High-quality work standards with and without direct supervision
- Ability to occasionally lift 55 lbs. to shoulder height
- Ability to occasionally stand for long periods of time, bend, reach, stoop, lift up to 170 lbs. and perform repetitive physical motions without issue.
- Enthusiasm and strong personal knowledge of the brewing industry and market.
- Proficiency in Google Drive operations.
- Proficiency with Ekos is a plus.
- Experience in outdoor wilderness environments is a plus.