Description of Responsibilities
The wood cellar manager is responsible for running operations for all clean and mixed culture barrel projects. The wood cellar manager is also responsible for keeping all wood projects innovative, up to quality standards, organized and efficient.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities
- Organize and monitor 100+ barrels, 5 Foeders, spontaneous puncheons and 5+ fruiting vessels simultaneously.
- Coordinate with the head brewer for scheduling raw materials processing and packaging runs.
- Sanitary sampling gravities bi weekly, monitor pH and keep records of all beers produced.
- Cellar operations including tank transfer and sanitation procedures.
- Managing all bottling/keg conditioning.
- Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Communicate with restaurant operations and events/marketing teams.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Have the ability to troubleshoot any process related issues.
- Participation in events, festivals, promotions, foraging and procurement of local ingredients etc. (this is a must).
- Work with local farmers to secure and schedule ingredients on a seasonal basis
- Work with barrels, foeders; including cleaning fruiting, filling, emptying, blending and maintenance.
- Manage house cultures consisting of brett, lacto, pedio and spontaneous yeast/bacteria.
- Ensure a safe work environment for all Wilderness employees; this includes OSHA compliance, conducting safety audits, maintaining up-to-date MSDS sheets, etc.
- Rigorously ensure adherence to all ingredient, in-process and finished beer quality specifications
- Participate in sensory evaluations and ensure constant open dialogue with the brewery management.
- Help develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and ensure that they are understood and followed by all pertinent brewing and packaging personnel.
Experience, Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
- Experience in a mixed culture and clean brewing facility.
- Experience in a wine or cider cellar is a plus
- High-quality work standards with and without direct supervision
- Ability to lift 55 lbs. to shoulder height repeatedly
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, bend, reach, stoop, lift up to 170 lbs. and perform repetitive motions without issue
- Desire to learn, grow, and take on increased responsibility
- Must have experience operating a forklift.
- Adapt to changes in brewing, packaging and production schedules
- Proficiency with Google Drive, Google Sheets and Ekos software is a plus
- Passion for the outdoors and sustainability is a must